Join the Expedition Now!
Classroom teachers, students and home school groups are invited to become involved online. The OAR Northwest education program aims to motivate student learning through an interactive platform where the students can help formulate the content by posing questions and interacting with the expedition team.
As with any expedition, the lessons to be learned are many and varied. This expedition will be no different. This Atlantic crossing demands that the rowing team demonstrate expertise in meteorology, navigation, nutrition, oceanography, technology, shipboard emergencies, expedition planning, sport medicine, interpersonal communication, leadership, perseverance and, of course … rowing. Imagine your students communicating with the expedition team about these topics.
The educational curriculum is free, thanks to the generous financial support from the Seattle Yacht Club Foundation.
we provide a dramatic metaphor for important life lessons.”
In the free K-12 education programs, your students can follow and participate in the expedition’s voyage in a number of ways:
- Communicate with expedition team via email and webchat about …anything they want to. (e.g. voyage, ocean, weather, health, emergencies)
- Analyze water, environment, sleep and whale study data
- View extraordinary photos/videos of marine and shipboard life
- Teach family members about rowboat expeditions during after-school events
- Speak with expedition team using satellite technologies (Great for morning school announcements!)
- Learn how science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) are vital to expedition’s success
Check out our Education Modules page for more information on the nature of the educational content developed for the expedition.
In October 2010, OAR Northwest made a small middle school presentation. Meet Olympian, Adam Kreek, and other expedition team members sharing the excitement of reaching goals, overcoming adversity, and gaining subject expertise through incredible ocean journeys.
Complete the contact form below to receive detailed program information and begin the classroom registration process, or to just learn more. Please, provide a complete mailing address; phone number and expression of interest to ensure an appropriate and timely response.